- "The international community is (also) speaking with one voice to the radical regime in Tehran. Iran is a nation held hostage by a small clerical elite that is isolating and repressing its people, and denying them basic liberties and human rights. The Iranian regime sponsors terrorists and is actively working to expand its influence in the region. The Iranian regime has advocated the destruction of our ally, Israel. And the Iranian regime is defying the world with its ambitions for nuclear weapons. America will continue to rally the world to confront these threats, and Iran's aggressive behavior and pursuit of nuclear weapons is increasing its international isolation."
- President George W. Bush
The United States admires and respects the Iranian people and supports their right to determine their own future. As the President has stated, the United States hopes one day soon to be the closest of friends with a free, sovereign and democratic Iran.
The United States:
- Stands with the Iranian people as they confront a corrupt, repressive regime.
- Supports their efforts to promote positive political change, economic prosperity, and freedom.
- Offered assistance in the aftermath of earthquakes in 2003, 2005, and 2006.
- Asked Congress to fund an ambitious program offering the Iranian people:
- unbiased information
- empowerment of local activists
- development of civil society civic education and advocacy training
Iran's human rights record is abysmal and its democracy deficit is growing.
The Iranian Government regularly commits:
- Summary executions
- Arrest and detention of activists, journalists and religious minorities
Read the rest: link to the original pdf article