Friday, June 22, 2007

Heritage

Part of my soul is stuck with the airplanes and war history and flight itself. Therefore I have tried to visit as many aviation and war history museums and memorials as I could. Yesterday I drove all the way to the city of Hamilton where the Canadian War Plane Heritage Museum is located and spent a few hours with the aircrafts and veterans there. Thought I should share couple of photos with you as well. Most of the photos I have taken here and there are always on My Flickr Page.

The first image is one of the only two remaining Halifax heavy bombers of the WW II that is still flying on special occassions and for heritage flights. The 2nd one is an "F-86 Sabre" fighter which first became operational during the Korean War and scored a kill ratio of 10:1 against North Korean MiGs during the 3 year long conflict and became famous for it. And the last one is of course the beautiful "F-4U Corsair" of the US Navy. This specific aircraft is owned by a private citizen and had flown from the States for the weekend air show. You can click on all the above images to enlarge them.

4 comments:

Evange said...

Can you imagine how uncomfortable it would be in those small, unpresurized cockpits?

Anonymous said...

That was neat, so you got to see a plane that isn't normally at the museum.
Military channel ran a show last night rating the best fighter planes. I'm sure it will be repeated.

programmer craig said...

That's a US Marine Corps Corsair in the bottom picture, Winston.

F4U Corsair

During World War II, It was the fighter the Japanese feared the most. The US Navy counted the average kill-rate as for every F4U shot down, 11 enemy aircraft were shot down.

That's my favorite WW II aircraft. US kicked the hell out of the Japanese in the Pacific, flying those. Politically incorrect I guess, but true none the less :)

Brian H said...

One of my favorite toys as a kid was a balsa model Sabre I assembled from a kit, complete with elastic launcher. Eventually the landings did enough damage to keep it grounded, but it was, to me, a thing of beauty.